Skip to main content

About this Show

The War Room With Jennifer Granholm

News/Business. (2012) (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

China 12, Obama 5, Pennsylvania 4, Youku 3, Lysol 3, Ted Kennedy 3, Paul Ryan 3, Virginia 2, Vo 2, Michigan 2, Indiana 2, Cenk Uygur 2, Bain 2, Florida 2, Detroit 2, Minnesota 2, Jennifer Granholm 2, Jeanette 2, Kennedy 2, Chris Lehane 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The War Room With Jennifer Granholm    News/Business.   
   (2012)  (CC) (Stereo)  

    September 24, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm PDT  

9:00pm
up with the name called cherry garcia? >> it was an announce mouse fan. >> eliot: all right. >> tonight in the war room, milt's deception is become legend! and the legend is growing! >> a., don't sweat it, you can't help being boring. b. i think i've heard this before where you outsource a bunch of american jobs in china continue to invest there over the years and bash the president for cozying up to them. if you put any more money in china they're going to name part
9:01pm
of the great wall thanks for the secret tape. it used to take until after launch find evidence of you being a flip-flopping hypocrite. >> all right, let's start the show far far away from the campaign trail across the globe, in fact, in china. the chinese government now has restrictions in place that limit the number of foreign films that can be shown in the country to just 20, 20 films a year. the chinese people hungry for more entertainment options have turned like many americans to the internet to a site called youku, the chinese version of you tube. chinese sensors banned you tube in china. youku became the number one source for all source of prioritied movies and t.v.
9:02pm
shows. the most popular is the american break. they said, they're putting stolen content produced by american companies on line, making youku one of the biggest tech companies in china valued over $2 billion. it's advised by companies like goldman sachs. to be fair, youku has tried to limit stolen content on its site but it and other similar sites are costing american companies and american jobs big time. u.s. companies have lost as much as $48 billion, and nearly a million jobs because of china's refusal to enforce intellectual property laws. now romney is using this issue to clobber the president on trade policy. in fact, he just released a new ad in ohio accusing the president of not doing enough to reign china in.
9:03pm
>> china is stealing ideas from computer with fighter jets, seven times obama could have taken action. seven times he said no. his policies cost us 2 million job. obama had years to stand up to china. we can't afford four more. >> i'm mitt romney and i approved this message. >> today he was at it again on the campaign trail in colorado. >> so when we put together agreements that make sure they favor us at least as much as it does then. countries like china that cheat i will stop it. we cannot allow them to steal american jobs unfairly. >> now mitt romney is standing up for fairness in american jobs! sound a little fishy? well, it is. in fact, the best way to see where mitt romney's heart is is to ignore all the bluster and rhetoric and just follow the money. as it turns out romney actually
9:04pm
invested thousands of dollars in that video site youku just last year. so now he's criticizing the president for not doing enough to crack down on the type of company that he himself has invested in in china! and believe me, it is not just youku. through bain he has invested in the chinese company gome. investing in uniview helps the chinese government spy on its own people. he's also, mitt romney, invested in a chinese oil company through bain. he claims these investments were all part of a blind trust meaning that he didn't know what was in it, of course, only his lawyer knew, but his lawyer sold shares in that chinese company
9:05pm
and the chinese companies in june just as the china trade issue was heating up on the that this blind trust is not coordinating with the campaign. i don't think so. in fact, in december, his campaign acknowledged that romney's trust would not actually qualify as blind under federal standards telling abc news the blind trust does not meet the exacting federal blind trust standard. if governor romney is elected president, that will change. i get it, once he's elected, he will comply with the federal law. makes perfect sense. but here's a reason not to blindly trust romney when he says he doesn't know what's in his blind trust because back in 1994 when he was campaigning against ted kennedy, he said this. >> the blind trust is an age-old ruse, which is to say you can
9:06pm
always tell the blind trust what it can and cannot do. you make the blind trust rules. >> it's an age old ruse, if you will. really? i could not have said it better myself. and now to my point. blind trust. it's what mitt romney has for his money and it's what he wants from us. he wants us to blindly trust him to be president without ever seeing who he really is. trust me, he says! my investments are totally legitimate. you don't need to see them, they're in a blind trust at that trust me. >> trust him, his wife says. you'd be lucky to have mitt romney as president. everything you see is troublesome but you haven't seen what is wonderful, trust me. trust us, his running mate says, we'll balance the budget, fund medicare you don't need to see tax loopholes and impossible
9:07pm
math it would require just trust us. trust them. their healthy wealthy and several shades of money beautiful families, everything a person could want. if you elect them, they'll make sure that you do, too. how? just trust me. you don't need to see his tax returns or videos from fifty thousand-dollar per person fundraisers or what he said five or 10 or 15 years ago or his policy details or anything at all. you just need to trust him. well that is not good enough. this is america not ancient troy. we're just not going to let a giant horse in because it has nice hair. we deserve a look inside. if you don't want us to, and if we do, we are not going to like what we're going to see. we're going to see a man who
9:08pm
thinks that a $250,000 salary is middle class, a would-be president who doesn't care about 47% of america. more importantly, we're going to see a mitt america, whether it's his investments in the cayman islands or investments in companies that hurt america or his plea to let detroit go bankrupt. maybe it's proposed tax restructuring raising taxes on every day people to fund tax cuts for millionaire the. if you want to see the real romney and his real policy, truly follow the money folks. the bible says wherever your pressure lies that's where you'll find your heart. romney's treasure is the size of his own wallet, not yours, and it lies offshore with his profits, with our jobs and with a bunch of self-serving bets against america, and that's what he doesn't want you to see. coming up, the ads are airing,
9:09pm
the spin doctors are spinning and the war rooms are rumbling. it's a monday on the campaign front. we will get you caught up on the latest. >> plus, secrets lives distortions, untruths, all of that and more flip-flops tonight on 60 minutes. later, i'll put it as simply as i can, republicans setting up laws to prevent minorities from voting. if that statement is in any way false, go ahead, sue me. (vo) cenk uygur is many things. >>oh really? >>tax cuts don't create jobs. the golden years as the conservatives call them, we had the highest tax rates, and the highest amount of growth, and the highest amount of jobs. those are facts. >>"if you ever raise taxes on the rich, you're going to destroy our economy." not true!
9:10pm
i look at her, and i just want to give her everything. yeah you -- you know, everything can cost upwards of...[ whistles ] i did not want to think about that. relax, relax, relax. look at me, look at me. three words, dad -- e-trade financial consultants. so i can just go talk to 'em? just walk right in and talk to 'em. dude those guys are pros. they'll hook you up with a solid plan. they'll -- wa-- wa-- wait a minute. bobby? bobby! what are you doing, man? i'm speed dating! [ male announcer ] get investing advice for your family at e-trade.
9:11pm
9:12pm
>> you're back inside the war room. i'm jennifer granholm. of trouble in the hard land for pop. according to a new poll, governor mitt romney leads president obama by 14 percentage points among rural voters in nine swing states. now republicans have traditionally done well in less populated areas. in 2008, then candidate obama narrowed that gap and won 44% of the rural vote overall. in 2004, senator john kerry captured only 40%. joining me to discuss this and much more, what if anything president obama can do to connect with rural voters is chris lehane. he runs the democratic strategic
9:13pm
communications firm. it's fun to have you here. talk about the rural voters. is this something that the president should be concerned about and since mitt romney was basically dissing 47% of america, including rural voters, isn't that something that's an opportunity for the opportunity. as you touched on historically, the rural voters have not supported democrats in the last six, seven presidential cycles. a lot of that's for cult you really voting reasons voting on their pocketbook, but there's a variety of issues that go into that historical pattern. these voters obviously are potential targets for the president. i think they'll target latino, women, younger voters, but certainly if you look at this and look at the president that got voters as you pointed out back in 2008, so it's not something that's impossible, clearly what romney has said opens it up. you think about romney's
9:14pm
comment, talking about military families, rural voters, also the types of people who have historically supported the republican party yes it's a big opening. >> you mean obama's talking about that. >> yes yes. >> you said romney. if you had to strategies with the obama team, for example rural voters for whom gun rights is a very important issue, should the president be more clear about protecting second amendment rights? >> i think democrats win with these voters when they actually talk about pocketbooks, lunch table. >> you think they can overcome. >> i think the signifier issues are out there. you don't want to look like mitt romney and flip-flop on the issues you believe in. the reason the president is winning this campaign right now is people trust him they don't trust mitt romney, they will trust him on economic issues. >> be authentic. >> this is the age of
9:15pm
authenticity. >> liz to a sound byte from president obama last night. >> i was pretty certain and continue to be pretty certain that there are going to be bumps in the road, because, you know, in a lot places, the one organizing principle has been islam the one part of society that hasn't been controlled completely by the government. >> so, mitt romney has been tearing into president obama all day long about that sound byte this bumps in the road, saying it was disrespectful to the families of the ambassador. is this a big deal? >> this comes after mitt romney made outrageous comments last week, showing time and time again he does not have a deft touch when it comes to international policy.
9:16pm
the president said something obvious. you compare that to the 47% comment, i will illuminating real thinking and feeling from romney, two different type of situations. >> when he said bumps in the road, he wasn't talking about what happened in london and the middle east. >> of course not and no one took it that way. >> well, romney did. >> when he jumps all over it goes to the authenticity point. no one took it that way. this is a president who demonstrated his leadership. he took out bin laden. this is not someone who insulted our closest ally in great britain. this is a president capable of handling national security, has proven it. romney has a story line of when you trust him or don't trust him. he looks like a wild play leer. >> every single day, they seem to be filling out their
9:17pm
contraction. >> i'm going to jump grooms here. an important group is senior citizens. not long ago romney was way ahead of the president but there is a new reuters poll out suggesting that the president is doing much better with voters over 60. in fact, since the democratic convention, mitt romney had a 20 point lead. it's dropped by 16 points. what's going on there? >> two words four, paul ryan. >> you think so. >> i think what you have done with the paul ryan is injected the whole medicare issue into the broader discussion. picking ryan who has essentially said he wants to get rid of medicare as we know it would be akin to running to the state of michigan and saying i'm going to chair for the chicago white sox as a detroit tiger. >> initially when he picked ryan, he was still doing very well among seniors you're saying it took a while for that poteen trait. >> first of all on any type of
9:18pm
medicare you give the democratic party historically to that subject. best case scenario, they become even on it. you take an issue that was not front and center in the campaign and put it there especially where that vote is critical, florida, iowa, pennsylvania, toyota in theory, romney could be competing and be closer but for the fact that this issue has caused him problems in that he is states. >> all those seniors booed paul ryan, you think that is emblematic of what is happening in the polls. >> to have the aarp boo your vice presidential nominee on the issue. >> why did they send him? >> for romney to win a presidential election for a republican, you have to have close to a 20-point margin with some of these particular voters, particularly in these key swing states. every time the number drops, it makes it that much harder for
9:19pm
romney to be competitive. >> you think romney still has a chance to turn this around? >> i thought this was going to be a very close election. >> everybody says so. >> if i'm looking at this like it was stock i'd be buying a lot on the futures of president obama right now. >> i agree with you chris. thanks for coming inside the war room. that's chris lehane. up next, mitt romney made a comment on 60 minutes last night that proves one of two things. even he doesn't understand how government functions or he's deliberately distorting the truth. i don't have to tell you where the smart money is going. you're in the war room that can only be
9:20pm
9:21pm
health matters to all of us. that's why lysol has started a mission for health. with new mom programs, lysol healthy habits initiatives in schools and disaster relief efforts. when you use lysol at home, you'll know you're a part of something bigger. for healthy tips and more, visit lysol.com/missionforhealth. right by those who gave their lives to for this country nearly 70 years ago.
9:22pm
>> his challenge of blaming it on the republican congress for the first two years right now the majority of his term, he had a democratic congress, a super majority and yet a whole series of things he said he was going to do he didn't do. >> a super majority. that's mitt romney shading the truth, approximate perpetuating that false narrative that president obama should first two years because he had a super majority. that is a filibuster proof 60 or more senate seats, 60 or more democrats sitting in the chairs, which allows one party to pass legislation without votes from the other. don't forget, a president, the president needed a super majority because of the republicans unprecedented use of the filibuster as an obstruction tactic. in fact, they have filibustered
9:23pm
over 400 times in this past session. so here's the deal. the real deal. there actually was no two year super majority for the president, and this time line shows the facts. president obama was sworn in on january 20, 2009. he was sworn in. and that obviously meant that he was sworn in with a group of senators, 58 of them to support his agenda, 58. he should have had 59, but republicans democratic senator al franken's election in minnesota. he didn't get seated for seven months, so the president's cause was helped in april, when pennsylvania's republican senatorar lynn specter switched parties, giving the president 59 votes, still a vote shy of that super majority 60, but one month later, democratic senator robert
9:24pm
byrd was hospitalized. he was from west virginia and basically out of commission. whilele the president's number on paper was 59 senators, he was really working with just 58. then in july, minnesota senator al franken finally was sworn in. now that one gave the president the magic 60, but only in theory because senator byrd was still out hospitalized, and then one month later, in august, senator ted kennedy broke our hearts and away. the number of democratic senators went back down to 59 again, still no fill buster-proof super majority, and then one month after this, paul kirk was sworn in to fill ted kennedy's seat, a democratic filling in again. that, however only lasted a short amount of time, because on the fourth of february, 2010,
9:25pm
any pretense of a super majority ended when republican scott brown was sworn in to senator kennedy's once seat. do you see a two year super majority? i don't think so. for more on mitt romney's secrets answered lice, we go to washington, d.c. and michael tomasky. welcome back inside the war room. >> always a pleasure, hi. >> always a pleasure. why is it that more people around calling out the republicans, especially mitt romney for this two year super imaginety myth? >> i don't understand, really, the republicans in congress and elsewhere have been saying that for a long, long time. i've never understood why the democrats don't beat back on that more aggressively than they do. i don't understand why steve croth let romney get away with
9:26pm
it last night. this democratic as an adjective drives me nuts. it's intentional and meant as an insult. that's a side point, i guess. you put the two -- >> it just gets your goat, i can tell. >> yes it does. for viewers who don't know, that's what joe mccarthy used to call the democratic party the democratic party. >> it is meant as a pejorative, but younger viewers might not know that. >> in your daily beast column this weekend, you wrote: >> you also say in that same column that you are starting to feel sorry for mitt romney. what have you been smoking michael tomasky? >> i gave all that up long, long ago. i can never confirm nor deny.
9:27pm
in just this one little way i do feel a teensy bit sorry for him. it's not that he's completely blameless here, of course. he says the things he says, he does the things he does and he has taken the positions he has taken. and he's a weak person. he doesn't have the backbone to stand up to this right wing. so there is that, and all those things greatly limit my sympathy. yet at the same time, he does have this ferocious right wing base of his party that has all these demands. they are basically holding a gun to his head. there are factions in the party the rich foreign policy neocons, and the social conservatives, they're holding a gun to hills head and saying you better say what we want you to say exactly as we want you to say it. >> well, you know, to me, it's somewhat ironic, because people are criticized, the republicans
9:28pm
have criticized the president because he has not been able to get past an obstructist congress to get his bills passed. don't you think romney's lack of control of his own party shows a lack of leadership? >> of course it does. his party controls him. he doesn't control the party. this is another interesting point, i think. usually when a person becomes his party's nominee for president, that nominee puts his stamp on the party to some extent. sometimes it's not that heavy but often it's very impressive and dramatic and the person changes the party. ronald reagan changed republican party. bill clinton changed the direction of the republican party. barack obama put a stomp on the democratic party in part of who he was and what he represented about the future, and what his election would represent about the country. but romney has put no stamp at all on the republican party. >> in fact...
9:29pm
>> the republican party has stamped it's he'll on his forehead. >> that's what i was going to say. they starched him, branded him if you will. you also say that you don't think that the republican presidential candle dates from years past would have even come close saying what mitt romney said in that video behind closed doors about the 47%. what makes you say that? >> i just don't think that that degree of resentment and rage had percolated up to that level that it has in these last two or three years. you know, george w. bush, yes he favored the rich in his policies, there's no question about that, but he didn't drive a hatred of poor people. he didn't drive a narrative about, you know, working class and poor people being moochers. that narrative obviously started
9:30pm
shortly after barack obama took office and it's been given vent bay lot of people, and, you know, i just don't think republicans before obama took office, i just don't think they would have spoken this way. they might very secretly in those private rooms. >> the new republican party beware of it, folks in november. thank you michael tomasky for joining me, one of the sharper political minds and writer in the daily beast. >> those who say republicans are targeting african-american voters for suppression have their facts wrong. they are also going after latino americans and they are doing a darned good job of it. folks, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't worried about the impact on the
9:31pm
it's go time. it's go time. it's go time. go time. you know what time it is. go time. it's go time. it's go time. what time is it rob? here comes the young turks go time! it's go time. oh is it? then it's go. go. go. go. go. go. go. go time. anybody? anybody? what time is it? oh, right. go time! only on current tv. [ male announcer ] the 2013 smart comes with 8 airbags a crash management system and the world's only tridion safety cell which can withstand over three and a half tons. small in size. big on safety.
9:32pm
we've all had those moments. when you lost the thing you can't believe you lost. when what you just bought, just broke. or when you have a little trouble a long way from home... as an american express cardmember you can expect some help. but what you might not expect, is you can get all this with a prepaid card. spends like cash. feels like membership.
9:33pm
9:34pm
♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] the exceedingly nimble ridiculously agile tight turning, fun to drive 2013 smart. ♪ ♪ >> my dad, you probably know was the governor of michigan, the head of a car company but born in mexico. and had he been born of mexican parents, i'd have a better shot at winning this. that, of course, is mitt romney joking that he'd have an easier time getting elected if he were latino at his notorious may fundraiser, but a new study that was out today says that a
9:35pm
shockingly high number of latinos, as many as 10 million may find it difficult if not impossible to vote in november because of new restrictive policies, 10 million! according to a civil rights group called the advancement project, 28 states set up barriers including voter purges, which target alleged non-citizens. according to the report, naturalized latinos are more likely to be falsely identified as non-citizens than any other grooms. strict photo i.d. requirements at the polls. many new laws are being contested. today in federal court in south carolina, they are a challenge to the new photo i.d. law. tomorrow, a judge in pennsylvania is going to consider whether the strict photo i.d. law puts anyone at
9:36pm
risk for being disenfranchised. if that answer is yes that judge is going to ever to stop the law from taking effect in november. hundreds of groups, we're going to make sure that nobody is disenfranchised by these new policies, our next guest has been fighting for voting rights for more than 90 years. jeanette is joining us from washington d.c. welcome inside the war room. >> thank you governor granholm. >> you bet. thanks for what you do. the league of women voters had to stop actually registering voters in florida because of a strict law that was eventually overturned there. how have these new restrictive state policies impacted the work that the league of women voters does? >> all of these laws impacts on our work. we now spend a lot of time actually fighting for voters rights instead of getting out there and actively registering
9:37pm
voters instead of helping voters learn about the candidates and issues. instead, we're in courts, redirecting our resources, both volunteer time and financial resources so that voters rights are protected instead of actively getting out there and helping them. >> so, let me play devil's advocate. there are a lot of people who don't see anything wrong with some of these state laws. what's wrong with purge be non-citizens from the voting rolls? of course we don't want non-citizens to vote. what's the problem with the voter i.d. law? how would this disenfranchise people. >> none of us want in eligible voters participating in the system. the problem is the purging pros, the he will i'll voters caught up laws, so when we look at purging, we really want to look at purging practicion that are transparent accurate, and legal, and that way we're
9:38pm
not really catching the eligible voters. right now we're working with a of inaccurate lists. kind of a great thing with the voter photo i.d. laws. instead of stopping in eligible seaters, we're finding people has recently changed their name because they got divorced, people who voted for 70 plus years and now don't have the fold i.d.'s with their current address on it and are disenfranchised. we're disenfranchising millions of voters, while they cost millions of dollars and they're a solution in search of a problem. >> let me ask you, for example when they're doing a punch of voter rolls because people, they don't want non-citizens voting, how are they determining who is a non-citizen or not when they a list. is it just who's got an exotic sounding last name like a latino
9:39pm
name? how do they know? >> so, really, they -- you would have to look at each state's process to determine how they're doing it. the biggest problem is with the accuracy of the list. so people are appearing on lists who may be weren't naturalized 10 years ago and that's how they ended up on some list but now are naturalized five years ago, one month ago yesterday, if they're currently a naturalized citizen, they should not be having their eligibility questions but a lot of these lists are too old to be used in this fashion. if you're not using really good matching processes people's names are common in many demographics and sometimes they are getting a lot of false positives. it's not always just that you're going to, you know, disenfranchise somebody, it's also the intimidation even if the person is completely eligible and they have their documentation, but getting these
9:40pm
kind of official letters saying if you do not demonstrate again or you'll be removed from the roles, it is sometimes an unin tend the consist jeans people who are promoting these laws say that they're very necessary of course to prevent voter fraud it's all about veer integrity and voting integrity. what do you think, is that really the main purpose of these laws? >> you would really have to speak to the legislators passing these laws, but i would venture to guess that the biggest problem in our election system is that too few people are registered to vote and turning out to vote. we have 50 million eligible voters who are currently not registered to vote, one of out of every four eligible americans not turning out to vote. the real integrity issues would addressed if we had more people, more eligible voters participates in the system. >> tomorrow is national voter
9:41pm
registration day. the league of women voters was one of a thousand organizations involved. so how does somebody get registered? quick, give us a plug. >> national voter registration day is tomorrow. we're proud and excited to be one of the 1,000 plus organizations out there actively registers voters tomorrow. for the league, we register voters year in and year out all year long. having one day that we can generate the kind of public attention and get people to come to these registration events, you can go to national voter registration day.org to find an event in your community. >> great, great, love it. well, jeanette senior director from the league of women voters, thank you so much for what you do. getting people out there and get% them conversation about race in
9:42pm
america, ron christian's new book next in the >>i jump out of my skin at people when i'm upset. they're doing this this corruption based on corruption based on corruption. >>that's an understatement, eliot. rich, chewy caramel rolled up in smooth milk chocolate. don't forget about that payroll meeting. rolo.get your smooth on. also in minis.
9:43pm
9:44pm
9:45pm
jennifer speaks truth to power. >>the bottom line is we need an amendment. >>now it's your turn. connect with "the war room" jennifer granholm. >>it's a call to arms. make your voice heard. >> how many of us have asked someone whether they're going vote and they say no, i'm too busy, and besides, i voted last time. or it's not like my vote's going to make a difference, but let's be clear.
9:46pm
while we're tuning out and staying home on election taking politics very seriously. and they're engaged on every level. >> that's first lady michelle obama reminding leaders at the awards banquet that this election all boils down voter turnout. the turnout rate for african-american voters was historic 65% wimp an increase of more than 2.4 million african-american voters. but a nationwide push to pass those voter i.d. laws like we just describe could reverse that upward trend. our next guest contends voter i.d. laws are not racially motivated. ron christy is the author of a new book, blackwards.
9:47pm
ron, appreciate you joining us war room. >> good evening, governor, nice to be with you. >> obviously you come from the other side of the aisle and i appreciate the opportunity to have a respectful conversation. you claim voter i.d. laws are racially neutral and the language may be, but the effects certainly don't seem to be. if we look at the numbers there were voters who could all be denied the right to vote in these various states. the report today said up to 10 million latino voters. do you recall think that the voter i.d. laws are racially neutral in effect? >> i really think they are governor. if you look very carefully at two of the most restrictive voter i.d. states in the states, indiana and georgia there were always claims that were out that
9:48pm
before these laws went into effect that they were going to busy proportionately affect black and latinos. the 2010 election, you actually had a higher percentage of african-americans and latinos who voted in those two states rather than those numbers decreasing. yes, i do believe once you apply a law that applies to all citizens registered to vote to produce such an identification card, that can lead to higher rather than lower turnout among minorities. >> i'm assuming that you're in support of because you want to root out voter fraud right that's the reason given for these, right? >> that's correct, that's correct, let me elaborate on that just a little bit if i could. if you look at indiana you had a number of folks found guilty of voter fraud. earlier this year, my home state of virginia, 50 people were rounded up and arrested in april of this year and you had 10 illegal felons who had also been
9:49pm
voting and registered to vote, so i do think that this exists. it's not sort of a solution in looking for a problem or problem looking for a solution, >> exempt that a carney night foundation said he poured over 2,000 cases and found 10% of alleged voter fraud since 2000. in fact, the statistic is that you are more likely to be killed by a coconut than to see voter fraud and the reality is that in pennsylvania, for example, the house majority leader was saying that the reason they adopted voter fraud legislation is to be able to achieve an outcome of electing mitt romney. don't you think that there is really, come on, something beneath this that wants to get voters that they don't like away from the poll? >> nice try governor. no, i don't i think that all americans regardless of whichever political party you might be in should account want
9:50pm
to have the most trustworthy and the most integrity in the ballot box process and the supreme court rules back in 2008 that a state is well within its right to make sure only their rolls are clean with active and valid voters, but allowed to have a voter identification card. i think this is more a distraction than anything else. the two most restrictive states in the united states governor, had more african-americans and latinos turn out to vote after the voter i.d. law had been put in place. >> i appreciate you trying to tow the party line, but i think it's really clear what the effect of these voter i.d. laws on. i want to get to affirm active action. you say we should end it, because it is taking us backwards rather than advancing people with color as they are unable to move forward without a crutch from the government. there is an affirmative action
9:51pm
case before the supreme court now. do you think college admissions should be purely and testing and grades. >> i do. a college also has to take into account diversity. you want a college campus that is reflective of america. i'm also concerned, you look back president kennedy said that race should have no form under the color of law in american life. i think unfortunately his desire to make sure that we had an equal application of the law regardless of your skin color has turned into a quota system. i am not in favor of quotas, of admitting x number of people based on the color of their skin. i'm strongly in favor of diversity. i don't like quota systems and the way the current affirmative action system is operating. >> you would agree with the decision from a few years ago saying quote at ales are out but
9:52pm
you can take into account a population that creates a robust learning environment because you have robust students. you would agree with that then. >> i do, but if you continue with her statement. think we might agree more than you might think. >> we really don't agree on the voter right thing. >> that's for sure. >> i really appreciate you coming inside the war room, though. i wish we had a little more time, because it would be fun to debate you and serious too for our viewers to hear where we're coming from. >> still more to do tonight in the war room, and a big announcement about tomorrow, all coming up right after the break. (vo) cenk uygur is many things. >>oh really? >>tax cuts don't create jobs. the golden years as the conservatives call them, we had the highest tax rates, and the highest amount of growth, and the highest amount of jobs. those are facts.
9:53pm
>>"if you ever raise taxes on the rich, you're going to destroy our economy." not true!
9:54pm
9:55pm
that it's been over five months since rick santorum became the last candidate to officially suspend his campaign. what ever became of those hopeless hopefuls. brett has the scoop so shh brett's talking now. >> every time you turn on the t.v. it seems it's romney, obama. whatever happened to the band of escaped circus performers that also wanted to be president, in other words, gop also-res, where are they now?
9:56pm
newt gingrich child in on his one area of expertise space. he says he likes the romney ryan space plan over obama's but said it's not robust enough. good to see he tuned it down since the stunt he pulled last week. >> rick funny he didn't sleep, so his whole campaign felt like a dream. to be honest, we don't remember most of it. rick santorum found the rest of his sweater. that's nice. >> ron paul, he's actually still running. not much has changed. herman cain said if he won the nomination, he would have a "substantial lead over president obama." in that world, obama would have bigger issues to focus on, what with all the flying pigs and
9:57pm
mothersmen of the apocalypse flying about. i'm done talking now. >> thank you brett. all right everybody someone's always in our war room, so you should check us out on line at current.com/thewarroom, check out our web extras to find stuff that we don't talk about on love to see. tomorrow is voter registration day across the nation. everybody who's watching this program needs to grab a family member, friend or stranger off the street who is not registered to vote and get them to register. it's a huge issue. we're going to be all over it. we checked out a wilco concert over the weekend. we're going to bring that you and much more. i hope you all have a tremendous night and we will see you tomorrow.
9:58pm
9:59pm